Stanisławów was founded as a fortress in 1650 and was named after the Polish hetman Stanisław “Rewera” Potocki, although other sources claim it was named after his grandson (see History of Ivano-Frankivsk). In 1772 its name was transliterated into German as Stanislau when it became part of the Austrian Empire and later Austria-Hungary; however, after the revolution of 1848 the city carried three different linguistic renderings of its name: German, Polish, and Ruthenian(German: Stanislau, pronounced [ˈʃtaːnɪslaʊ̯]; Polish: Stanisławów, pronounced [staɲiˈswavuf]); Ukrainian: Станісла́вів, Stanyslaviv, pronounced [stɑnʲiˈslɑβ̞iw]). Other spellings used in the local press-media included: Russian: Станиславов andYiddish: סטאַניסלאוו.
Austrian KK stamp bilingual cancelled in 1891 with German and Polish names
After World War II it was changed by the Soviet authorities into a simplified version Stanislav (Ukrainian: Станісла́в, pronounced [stɑnʲiˈslɑw]; Russian: Станисла́в, pronounced [stənʲɪˈslaf]). In 1962, on the city’s 300th anniversary, it was renamed to honor the Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko. Due to the city’s over-sized name, unofficially it is sometimes called simply Franyk by its residents. Even though Ivano-Frankivsk is the officially accepted name, the city’s original name was never fully abandoned and/or forgotten and can be found throughout the city in all kinds of variations.
- Name change
- 1662 founded as Stanisławów
- 1772 transliteration change to Stanislau
- 1919 transliteration change to Stanislaviv
- 1919 transliteration change to Stanisławów
- 1939 transliteration change to Stanislav
- 1941 transliteration change to Stanislau
- 1944 transliteration change to Stanislav
- November 9, 1962 name change to Ivano-Frankivsk (for honour to Ivan Franko)
• 1650–1662: establishing a private fortress of Potocki and seeking the Magdeburg rights
• 1809–1815: Stanislav, Russian Empire,
• November 1918 – May 1919: Stanyslaviv, West Ukrainian National Republic,
• May 1919 – September 1939: Stanisławów, Poland, seat of the Stanisławów Voivodship,
• October 1939 – June 1941: Stanyslaviv, Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic,
• August 1944 – 1991: Stanislav, (renamed in 1962: Ivano-Frankivsk), oblast seat, Ukrainian SSR,
• Post–1991: Ivano-Frankivsk, independent Ukraine.
From 1662 till 1772 and from 1918 till 1939 had name Stanislav (Polish Stanisławów), from 1772 till 1918 – Stanislav (German Stanislau). Since 1939, the Soviets returned the Austrian name Stanislav and 9 November 1962 on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the city was renamed Ivano -Frankivsk after the prominent writer Ivan Franko.
Ivano -Frankivsk is located on Pokutsko flat area on south-west Ukraine between Bystrytsia Nadvirnianska and Bystrytsia Solotvynska . The area of the is 3.89 (0.3 % of the region area). Subordinate to Ivano -Frankivsk City Council are five surrounding villages Vovchynets , Ugornyky , Mykytyntsi , Kryhivtsi , Khryplyn .